Work from Home Translator
Jobs that are done at home are becoming popular due to various advantages, such as having flexible working hours and telecommuting, which makes use of the internet, e-mail, and telephone. Freelance translation is the perfect work or home job for those who want to avoid commuting to work on a daily basis and for mothers who have to take care of their kids at home.
Aside from being convenient since you can work at your own home, translation jobs also produce a great deal of profit. Work from home jobs provide the perfect work-life balance that many corporate executives yearn for.
Choosing translation as a profession is one of the excellent choices for people who would like to work at home because they can expect to earn a decent income while at the same time be able to enjoy their free time by taking care of their family and loved ones.
The work of translators is converting written materials from one language to another. Their goal is to let the people read the translated work as if it were the original. For them to do that, the translator must be able to maintain or duplicate the structure and style of the original meaning while keeping the idea and facts of the original meaning accurate.
They must also be able to correctly convey cultural references to a new language, including expressions that cannot be translated literally or slang words. Most translation work is done on a computer and their transactions are usually done electronically. Before translators submit their final work, it first goes through several revisions to ensure the quality of the work.
What Do Translators Typically Do?
- They transform concepts in the source language to equivalent concepts in the language targeted.
- They collect information, such as terms used in legal settings, in glossaries and terms needed to be used in translations.
- They are fluent in speaking, reading and writing in two or more languages, which must include English in addition to other languages.
- They pass on the style and tone of the original language.
- They must manage they work schedules well in order to meet their deadlines.
- They must provide accurate, quick and clear spoken messages.
Working from home as a translator is sometimes referred to as being a freelance translator. It is known as the translator that works at their home or private office as an independent contractor, having various clients and with no contracts or agreements that binds them into accepting all tasks. An advantage of being a freelance translator is having a more flexible schedule.
The biggest advantage for being a freelance translator is that he/she does not need to wake up early and go to work every morning or get stuck in traffic jams. A freelance translator is the leader that decides what he wants to do with his/her own life. Depending on how you manage your schedule though you may be taking up or required to work overnight or on weekends.
The Ability to Choose
With you being the leader of your own life, a freelance translator is free to choose what and for whom he is willing to translate or choose the most profitable and best jobs he could take. He/she can always decide whether he would like to take a project on or not. If the freelancer sees that the project is too difficult or the deadline is too tight, then he can just turn it down with perfect excuses.
Refuse Jobs You Don’t Like
A freelance translator sometimes refuses jobs from clients that do not pay on time, cannot be communicated with, have tight deadlines etc.
Flexible Working Time
Freelance translators are free to decide when, where, and for how long to work. They can translate works for different industries or have different clients in various industries, which lets them learn new skills and apply them to other projects they are working on or are about to take.
Work from Home Translator:
- Freelance translators do not to travel to work every day, and since they work in their own homes they have fewer distractions to tolerate and are able to work comfortably.
- Freelance translators can choose to go on vacation if they like whenever they want and do not need to work around other colleagues’ holiday requirements.
- You can achieve a great level of flexibility when you are working for yourself, and freelance translators are able to pick and choose and avoid translating texts they do not like.
- Freelance translators spend less time in translating due to the time needed to manage the business like contacting potential clients, promoting your services or handling the finances, etc.
- May require a lot of discipline. They may have to work unusual hours to meet their deadlines.
- Unstable profits as they do not have any guarantee that they will always have enough work. Their monthly income is not fixed.
- There is a tough competition between translators. There are numerous freelance translators out there and, depending on a person’s personality, he/she might find freelancing lonely and a bit isolated.
Work from home translator is one of the jobs you could choose from when you love language, enjoy freedom and do not mind hard work. Like any other field it has its ups and downs, so it is best to consider carefully when pursuing it. You need to be passionate and dedicated if you want to be successful in the career that you chose.
If you are planning to not work for a translation agency then you will have to be self-motivated and highly independent.
To become a translator you do not need year of education, just by having a bachelor’s degree you can already get started. You will be working for yourself when you decide to become a freelance translator and by just having a laptop and a phone, you can freely travel to wherever place you want to go and whenever you want to.
Here, you will find out more about the job as a translator.
Our Top Pick For Becoming a Translator
Find translation jobs now!